What is Dowry 嫁妆?
Dowry Chinese Wedding is prepared and given by the Bride’s family. It is usually done on the same day as the Guo Da Li ceremony or a few days before the wedding. The gifts represent the blessing to the couple and show that the bride has grown up and is ready to take on the new role as a wife and mum.
Read this post if you are still clueless about Guo Da Li Ceremony.
What to Buy For Dowry 嫁妆
Please note that the items below mentioned are recommended to purchase and are to be PREPARED BY THE BRIDE’S FAMILY.
Dowry Chinese 嫁妆: For Groom’s Family:
▪2 Bottles of Orange Juice in Exchange for the Martell Received.
▪ 2 Red Wedding Lamps
▪2 Pair of Home Slippers
▪1 Set of Bedsheet, Bolster Case, Pillow Case and Duvet Cover in RED.
– Used for an chuang (安床), get a red ribbon to tie together.
▪ 1 Tea Set (for Groom’s side tea ceremony)
– Sometime the Groom’s parents will get it instead, so check first.
▪ Ang Pow for Groom’s parents and unmarried siblings if any
▪ Ang Pow for matchmaker if any
▪ Face Towels for Groom’s parents, grandparents
-Use red ribbon to tie together.
▪ Tea Leaves
▪ Glutinous rice flour
▪ Double Happiness Bag filled with 5 colour auspicious seeds
Dowry Chinese 嫁妆: Show Groom’s family but Safekeep by Bride.
▪1 Baby Bathtub
▪1 Face Basin
▪ 1 Rinse Mouth Cup
▪1 Sewing Kit Box (Scissors, pin cushion, measuring tape, needles and thread)
▪ 1 Mirror, Comb, Toothbrush and Toothpaste
▪ 1 Tea Set (for Bride’s side tea ceremony)
▪ 1 Set Bowl and Spoon
▪ 1 Pyjamas for the Bride
▪ 1 Wedding Hand Fan
▪ 1 Jewellery set (Bride’s parents will give to the Bride during tea ceremony day